Welcome to the Parish Community of
St. Brigid and St. Elizabeth
The Mission of St. Elizabeth-St.Brigid Parish is to become more faithful members of the Body of Christ and to become a bridge to bring others into the loving embrace of Jesus. Nourished and sustained by God's Word and the Sacraments we are committed to our Lord's request: "Go into the whole world and proclaim the Good News" (Mark 16:15)
129 Main Street P.O. Box 33 Peapack, NJ 07977
Tel. (908) 234-1265
Fax (908) 234-2923
34 Peapack Road P.O. Box 37
Far Hills, NJ 07931
Reverend Monsignor Edward C. Puleo, Pastor
Margaret Mulrooney, Parish Life Co-ordinator
Terrie Profenius, Parish Catechetical Leader
Friday evenings during Lent
Mass at 7 PM at St. Brigid Church with
Stations of the Cross immediatly following.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation will be available during Stations of the Cross.
From Msgr. Puleo, Pastor:
Ashes to Easter
The Holy Season of Lent begins on Wednesday February 18th.
How might the Season of Lent be a more valuable experience for you this year?
Traditionally, the Church invites us to pray, fast, and give alms during the days of Lent. This means that we:
- Take time each day to reflect on our lives, seeking always to do God's will, as we acknowledge the presence of Christ is in our midst.
Perform acts of sacrifice such as fasting (especially on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday) and abstaining from certain foods like meat (on all Fridays during Lent).
- Alms giving: which means giving sacrificial gifts of money to worthy causes such as the Church and the poor.
This Lent I have asked the Daughters of Mary to prepare “Ashes to Easter Trees” for Saint Elizabeth and Saint Brigid churches as a way to help us focus on special needs and intentions, especially the needs of others.
Everyone is invited to take an Easter egg tag from the basket next to the tree, Write on the back of the egg an anonymous prayer intention, act of charity, or other Lenten goal and then hang it on the tree. (You may take the egg home to complete and bring it back to hang on the tree). No names please.
The following are meant as suggestions or ideas to help you prepare your tag:
- Pray for an end to the persecution of Christians around the world.
- Pray for an increase in the respect and dignity of all human life
- Attend daily Mass
- Attend Mass on Fridays during Lent
- Attend the Stations of the Cross during Lent
- Visit a sick relative or neighbor
- Help at a soup kitchen
- Prepare a meal for an elderly neighbor
- Give a sacrificial gift to the "Good Friday" collection for the Holy Land
- Give a sacrificial offering to your Parish Church
- Give a gift certificate to someone in need
- Practice the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy
Corporal Works of Mercy Spiritual Works of Mercy
- Feed the Hungry Counsel the doubtful
- Give drink to the thirsty Instruct the ignorant
- Clothe the naked Admonish the sinners
- Shelter the homeless Comfort the afflicted
- Visit the Sick Forgive offenses
- Visit the imprisoned Bear wrongs patiently
Bury the dead Pray for the living & the dead
During Lent we will pray individually, as families and as a parish community for all the intentions placed on the "Ashes to Easter" trees. Together, may we be joined in prayerful devotion and sacrifice as we prepare for the risen Lord on Easter Sunday.
Download and complete the form and return to the Parish Office
By mail: Parish Center of St. Elizabeth-St. Brigid, PO Box 33, Peapack, NJ 07977